The Liberty Hall
Clapton Commons is leading a project to transform a disused toilet block on the Common, bringing back into use for the whole community.
After 30 years of sitting empty the building will become a newly renovated flexible space, where a range of activities and services will be offered to meet the diverse needs of the neighbourhood. Some of those include;
• Community cookery school - run by Made in Hackney
• Coffee Kiosk - run by local business Café Musica
• Bike Repair Clinic- currently recruiting partners
• Flower Stall - currently recruiting partners
• Community Garden - led by landscape designer Sacred Space Studios: this community initiative is funded by Mayor of London’s Greener Cities fund.
There will also be slots for community events, exhibitions, clubs, workshops and other activities.
The project is being delivered through an innovative model, based on partnership between local government, community groups, charity and private business. Specifically, Hackney Council are funding the regeneration of the shell and leasing us, Clapton Commons the building. We will then run a shared use model with the charities and small businesses operating in the space, with agreed times set aside for bookings by the community.
How can I get involved?
Clapton Commons is building a team of local volunteers to help run Liberty Hall and develop a range of projects to be housed in the space. If you want to get involved then please contact us. We would love to hear from you!